Tulsi, decreases Vata and Kapha and increases Pitta and it is acted in plasma, blood, marrow and nerves, reproductive and respiratory, nervous and digestive systems.It is benefited in ailments like colds, cough, sinus congestion, headaches, arthritis, rheumatism, abdominal distention, flu and reduces fat, strengthens the heart, prevent nausea, cancer, leukaemia, removes toxins, increases semen, promotes tranquility, depression etc.
Modern scientific research offers impressive evidence that TULSI reduces stress, enhances stamina, relieves inflammation, lowers cholesterol, eliminates toxins, protects against radiation, prevents gastric ulcers, lowers fevers, improves digestion and provides a rich supply of antioxidants and other nutrients. Tulsi is especially effective in supporting the heart, blood vessels, liver and lungs and also regulates blood pressure and blood sugar.”
Relieves breathlessness, cough and cold, Adaptogen, boosts up the immune system of the body ,helps to fight viral infections ,is to used as adjuvant in cancer treatment with chemotherapy & radiotherapy.
Health Benefits of Holy Basil:
Let us look at the most powerful health benefits of holy basil or tulsi.
- Reduces Fever: The miraculous healing properties of holy basil come mainly from its essential oils and the phytonutrients in it. Holy basil is an excellent antibiotic, germicidal, fungicidal, and disinfectantagent and very effectively protects our body from all sorts of bacterial, viral, and fungal infections.
- Relieves Symptoms of Respiratory Disorders: Tulsi, along with curing viral, bacterial, and fungal infections of the respiratory system, gives miraculous relief from congestion due to the presence of components like camphene, eugenol, and cineole in its essential oils. It is very effective in curing almost all respiratory disorders including bronchitis, both chronic and acute.
- Helps with Treatment of Asthma: Tulsi is very beneficial in the treatment of asthma since it relieves congestion and facilitates smoother breathing. The phytonutrients and essential oils, along with the other minerals in it, help cure some of the underlying causes of asthma as well.
- Prevents Lung Disorders: The compounds like vit. C, camphene, eugenol, and cineole present in the essential oils of tulsi not only provide relief from the infections in the lungs but also help clear the lung congestion. Furthermore, they are found to be effective in healing the damages caused to the lungs due to smoking etc.
- Prevents Heart Diseases: The use of tulsi for chronic cardiovascular diseases. Holy basil contains vitamin C and other antioxidants such as eugenol, which protect the heart from the harmful effects of free radicals. Additionally, eugenol is very beneficial in reducing cholesterol level in the blood.
- Reduces Stress: Vitamin C and other antioxidants in holy basil, apart from repairing damages done by free radicals, also minimize the stress caused by these oxidants. A study published in the Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine says that tulsi soothes the nerves, lowers blood pressure, reduces inflammation, and thus reduces stress. Potassium, in Tulsi, also reduces blood pressure-related stress by replacing sodium and loosening the tensed blood vessels.
- Mouth Freshener: Tulsi is an excellent mouth freshener and an oral disinfectant and its freshness last for a very long time. Holy basil destroys more than 99% of germs and bacteria in the mouth and this effect can last all day. It also aids in providing relief from mouth ulcers.
- Chemopreventive Properties: Tulsi may inhibit the growth of various cancers including oral cancer due to the presence of phytochemicals like eugenol
- Reduces Risk of Kidney Stones: Tulsi, being a detoxifier and a mild diuretic, helps to reduce the uric acid level in the body, which is the main culprit as far as kidney stones are concerned. It also helps clean out the kidneys through increased frequency of urination. Acetic acid and certain components in Tulsi essential oil facilitate dissolution of the stones. Finally, it has pain-killer effects and helps bear the pain from kidney stones as they pass.Holy basil also helps in protecting liver health.
- Prevents Premature Aging: Vitamin C and A, phytonutrients, and the essential oils in holy basil are excellent antioxidants and protect the body from nearly all the damages caused by free radicals in the body, which are hazardous byproducts of cellular metabolisam that are responsible for a wide swath of diseases, including cancer. In the traditional Indian medicine system called Ayurveda, it is considered as a tonic to retain youthful vigor and avoid premature aging.
- It can protect your body from radiation poisoning and also heal the damages from that sort of condition. It can be given after surgery to help heal wounds quickly and also to protect those areas from infections. It acts as a vaccine against pox if consumed regularly. Being an expectorant is one of the most prized properties of holy basil, making it very efficient in curing cough and cold. It is beneficial in reducing labor pain, destroying rabies germs, treating gastroenteritis, cholera, whooping cough, measles, mumps, rheumatism, nausea, septic, urinary and genital infections, and destroying worms in the stomach. Furthermore, its dried leaves can be mixed with food grains to be used as an insect repellent.